Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Permanent Cosmetics- What You Need to Know!


Are you thinking of getting your eyeliner permanently put on? Or filling out your thinning eyebrows? Well! There are a few things that you should take into consideration before you take this BIG step!

I am by no means a professional and have no licenses in tattooing or permanent cosmetics. I do, however, have my eyeliner tattooed. And my mum has her eyebrows, eyeliner, lipliner and blush all tattooed. As well as my sister and my grandmother! Yes my grandmother got this done just a few years ago! You go grandma!

A little background: permanent cosmetics started around the early 20th century [early 20th century is 1900]. However not many knew about it or had it done. It wasn't till the early 1999's that it really started to take off. It mainly started out as a way to help the healing process to women who had breast cancer and surgery to make their breasts look more natural again. Over the years, more and more people started getting make up tattooed, and as become quite a fad. My mother got her eyeliner tattooed on for the first time in 1995!

When it comes to getting any type of ink permanently placed on your body, you need to do your research. Find someone who you can trust and someone who has up-to-date licenses and credentials. I know it seems like a lot of work! But! It is better to know who is putting a needle next to your eye! Don't be afraid to ask your technician about credentials. Also! Permanent Cosmetics is done by a permanent cosmetics technician, not a tattoo artist! They use different kinds of inks and it is a very different process than going to a tattoo shop. And to be honest, you'd rather have a licensed cosmetics technician  do it than someone who knows nothing about make up.

Pricing varies from person to person. It generally ranges anywhere from $200 to $2000. Just depending on how much you are getting done. My eyeliner was around $400.

So this is based on my personal experience:

I had a four hour appointment with my technician. A majority of the appointment was going over health and possible side effects that could happen. Just like with tattoos, you can have infections and since not everyone's skin is the same, some skin doesn't hold ink like others.

You can pick any type of eyeliner you want, though most artists will recommend the thickness and colour. I wanted very basic eyeliner and black. Another thing you should keep in mind is that some other problems people have had with the eyeliner being uneven and too thick. I spent quite a pretty penny on my eyeliner but mine turned out perfect, was even and not too thick. So just keep that in mind!

The actual tattooing lasted only 10 minutes. Yes, I said 10 minutes! They do use numbing gel on your eyes to help take away the pain. However! Since it is the same process as getting a tattoo, you can still feeling the buzzing on your eye. There is a major psychological process your mind goes through. Since it is your natural reaction to protect your eyes, so when you are allowing a needle very close to your eye, your brain WILL freak out a little bit. It is why they try to get through it as quickly as possible.

Healing will take up to a week. But! The swelling and bruising will last about 3 days. Your eyes will be very very tender, so I would suggest doing it on a Friday, so you have the whole weekend to heal. But, thats my personal option! 

I have also posted a video on youtube. I think a lot of the information might be the same! But feel free to check it out! And if you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge, since I am not a professional, I might not have all the answers!!!

Till next time!

Domo

No comments:

Post a Comment