Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Lets Dye Our Hair Crazy!

So, I have been dying my own hair for about 5 years now. But I have been getting professional done since I was 7! My grandmother has been a licensed beautician since the 70's and has taught me everything I know about hair and hair care.

So I have tried to get cool crazy colours for years now, but it does come with a price. To achieve extremely bright coloured hair, you MUST lift your hair colour to the lightest blonde you can get it. Ideally a white blonde. Because of this, you will be causing a lot of damage to your hair. In reality, no matter how much you lift your hair colour, you will be doing some type of damage.

In order to lift your hair to blonde from a brown or even black, you must bleach it. Peroxide is what actually causes the hair to lighten, developer is what determines how much your hair lightens. You need both in order for the bleaching to actually happen! Here is the break down:


  • 10vol: lifts 1 shade
  • 20vol: lifts 1-2 shades
  • 30vol: lifts 2-3 shades
  • 40vol: lifts 3-4 shades

You can get 50vol for max lifting, however if you are not a professtional I would highly recommend you stay away from it. When I went from dyed black hair to bleach blonde they had to use 50vol on my hair and it turned into straw, very damaging to the hair.

If you do bleach your hair, you must bring conditioner back into your hair. Deep conditioning your hair at least once a week will help keep your hair looking healthy. Some of my favorite masks and treatments are:


  • Tigi Pro Radiant Colour Treatment Mask
  • Redken Real Control Intense Renewal Mask
  • Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-In Treatment (you can use every day!)
  • Agadir Argan Oil (you can use every day!)


Of course when you dye your hair, you must use a colour safe shampoo and conditioner. You also need to make sure they are sulfate free (most are anyways)! Sulfates are very very bad for coloured hair (well any hair really!) but they can strip the colour faster from your hair. My current favorite colour safe shampoo and conditioner is Tigi Pro Radiant Colour. Their S Factor is also amazing! I also really like Sei Bella Ultra Moisture Shampoo, but it is not available in stores. If you are interested in finding out about it, click here (http://livetotalwellness.com/danitaz). 

If you colour your hair crazy colours, you will be using a semi or demi permanent colour, which means it will wash out a little every time you wash your hair. A good way to lengthen the time between touch ups is getting a coloured conditioner in whatever colour you have dyed your hair. I am using ClayPac colour enhancing for red. You can always mix in your left over dye into your conditioner.

When washing your hair, use the coolest water you can stand. Hot water will strip the colour from your hair faster. Cold water is also good for the cuticles in your hair. So really everyone should be washing their hair in cold water! Also, only wash your hair every 3-4 days, I know, sounds gross, but the oils that your hair naturally produces are good for your hair and if you wash it every day, it will dry your hair out faster and cause damage.




 My current colour->


*Pictures are some of the hair colours I have been over the years*

I hope this has been helpful with some hair colouring questions!!!

Till next time!

-Domo






No comments:

Post a Comment